I work in front of a computer all day, what can I do to protect my eyes? Hi, i work in front of a computer all day, my eyes often times become very dry. I have very bad vision, and I do prefer wearing contact lenses. I apply eye drops pretty often but th

Dr. Emil Chynn
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: We've

We've done studies showing the normal blink rate is reduced when people are staring at the computer screen.
In effect, they are staring their eyes dry you need to do all of the following: punctal plugs thicker preservative free tears rx for restasis drink more water and less caffeine and alcohol cool mist humidifier by your feet if all these things don't work, or if you find them too much of a pain, then you should just get rid of your contacts with an asa procedure, ie lasek or epilasek, as then your contacts won't keep drying out in your eyes this is probably the #1 reason my patients (about 1, 000 per year) get lasek--because of contact lens intolerance and dry eyes you should also see an eye md to check for mybomian gland disfunction, or mgd. Then you would need lid hygiene and perhaps doxycycline hope this helps!:).

In brief: We've

Dr. Emil Chynn
Dr. Emil Chynn
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dry

Dry eye may only be part of the problem. For that part of the issue, frequent tears works well, but you may have to try a few different brands to find one that works best.
Sometimes, other dry eye treatments work better, such as Restasis (a prescription drop) or punctal plugs (which an opththalmologist needs to place for you). Have a qualified eye doctor take a look and make suggestions. The other part of the equation is a problem known as computer vision syndrome (cvs). Cvs is a combination of symptoms, including eye strain, fatigue, headaches and neck stiffness. Blurred vision may also be a component of this syndrome. Patients typically find themselves taking frequent breaks to ease their symptoms, and struggle to find an optimum position for their computer monitor. Choosing the proper position and distance for your monitor is important, as is use of 'computer glasses' to give you the proper focal distance, especially if you are in your late 40's or beyond. Frequent breaks are also important, even just one minute every hour to relax your eye muscles. More info is available on this webpage:.

In brief: Dry

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Richard Hector
Ophthalmology

In brief: Gunner glasses

Trade you contacts in for a pair of gunner computer glasses!

In brief: Gunner glasses

Dr. Richard Hector
Dr. Richard Hector
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology

In brief: You

You are doing the right things.
The computer itself will not cause damage, but dryness can effect your ability to perform your job. Keep up with the tears and consider gel tears that are available over the counter which can be longer lasting. Once you get 40 and beyond, reading glasses may be needed as well.

In brief: You

You are doing the right things.
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Dr. Steven Seres