Is there anything done as a child that can cause them to have pulmonary hypertension later in life?

Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Unsure

There are certainly medical conditions that can lead to pulmonary hypertension later in life.
If you are referring to possibly exposures, then it depends on the substance, but unlikely. I apologize as i'm not sure how best to answer your question, but there are few things a parent/person could potentially do to cause pulmonary hypertension.

In brief: Unsure

Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Charles Burger
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Not typically

No, not generally.

In brief: Not typically

No, not generally.
Dr. Charles Burger
Dr. Charles Burger
Dr. Fernando Torres
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Maybe

This is an interesting question.
There are some forms of congenital heart disease that predispose the children to developing phtn. There are other neonatal conditions too. But if your question is more generic like type of food or exposures, I am not aware of such an exposure been associated with phtn.

In brief: Maybe

This is an interesting question.
Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Janesta Noland

In brief: No

And then let me qualify: generally no.
There are some congenital heart defects which can lead to pulmonary hypertension later in life. If your child has a heart defect, discuss this question with your cardiologist. Although there have been some medications implicated in the development of phtn, they are not medicines usually given to children. So generally, no is the answer to your question.

In brief: No

And then let me qualify: generally no.
Dr. Janesta Noland
Dr. Janesta Noland
Dr. Steven Seres