Can I have adverse reactions to normal viruses, from having immigrated to a new country? I recently immigrated to the usa, (3years) and have found that i frequently catch viruses, aches colds ect, that seem to knock me off my feet. Could this be different

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: You

You are correct! you have likely never been exposed to the viral strains here that cause common colds.
Think of it like a kid starting school or day care for the first time. They get sick all the time as their bodies are building up immunity against the strains the body is being exposed to, which is what is happening with you. Now you need to focus on building up your immunity; this can be done by eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, taking a daily multi-vitamin, get plenty of exercise. It is also a good idea to schedule a history and physical with a primary care provider. Take good care.

In brief: You

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson