Severe tail bone pain and now giant lump appears? Cancer? Injury? I fell down the stairs 4 days ago and hurt my tailbone pretty bad. The pain was very intense (7) but manageable. Now the pain is severe (10) worse than labor! a lump the size of an egg has

Dr. Robert Andrews
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: It's

It's possible to fracture your tailbone with a fall.
That could cause a bump or bulge, generally followed by a lot of bruising. The picture you sent looks less like the kind of swelling you would get after trauma and more like an area of infection. Could you have broken the skin when you fell? Any chance this lump was there before your fall but that you didn't notice it until the fall? Given the severity of your symptoms, you should definitely see a doctor. You may need x-rays or a ct scan of your pelvis. In addition, if the lump is infected, you may need a procedure called I&D to get rid it.

In brief: It's

Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Frank Mayo
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Possible hematoma

Possible bleeding into the area where the injury was.
If symptoms persist an orthopedic evaluation and x-rays may be useful.Cancer unlikely.

In brief: Possible hematoma

Dr. Frank Mayo
Dr. Frank Mayo
Dr. Eric Weisman