If my son has a pda, should I be worried about other heart disease?

In brief: Not particularly

A PDA is present in all fetuses & allows the fetus to minimize pumping work of the heart.
It allows minimal blood flow into the lungs for growth, pumping most of the blood to the rest of the body for growth & placenta to get more nutrients. In the hours after birth, the PDA usually closes.(not always) rare blue baby heart pbs benefit from having a PDA remain open until surgery.

In brief: Not particularly

Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Yes but

If your child was diagnosed with a pda, i assume it was done with an echocardiogram.
So any other major heart disease should have been seen. Please follow-up on this with your child's cardiologist.

In brief: Yes but

Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Echo done

I guess the PDA was diagnosed with an echocardiogram.
That should gave ruled out other heart disease.

In brief: Echo done

Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. James Thompson
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Maybe

Congenital heart defects often occur with other congenital heart defects.
I assume that if someone knows your son has a PDA that a complete echocardiogram has been performed. In competent hands, this should rule out all other forms of congenital heart defects. If the PDA is large, it should be repaired; this should prevent the development of other heart problems.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. James Thompson
Dr. James Thompson
Dr. Marsha Davis