If my father had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, how likely will it be that my son has it too?

Dr. Steven Neish
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: 25%
Generally, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion.
In other words, an affected individual has a 50% chance of passing the abnormal gene to each of their children. I assume you do not know your status regarding hcm. The math is that you had a 0.5 likelihood of inheriting an abnormal gene, and your son, if you are affected, has a 0.5 likelihood. .5x.5=.25=25%.

In brief: 25%
Dr. Steven Neish
Dr. Steven Neish
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Depends on you
If you inherited it from your father, your son could be at 50% risk.
If you do not have it, his risk is low.

In brief: Depends on you
If you do not have it, his risk is low.
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Don't know
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy does have a genetic component and what i found says it is passed on from parents.
"the condition is present from conception and excessive growth of the muscle may begin before birth when the foetal heart is developing". If you are concerned the best course of action is to see a cardiologist who can do an echocardiogram which is the gold standard for diagnosis.

In brief: Don't know
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology