Should I be concernded that its hurts to cough after a volleyball dive? I dove for a ball and landed on my right side and now it hurts to cough

Taking. Taking a fall on the volley ball court and landing on your chest with subsequent painful coughing leads me to think of 2 possible injuries. The first is a muscle contusion. When you strike a muscle hard enough it becomes injured. The nerve impulses in this area fire when there is a repeated trauma, ie a cough to the area. An intercostal muscle (between the ribs) is often the concern. The second concern if the trauma was violent enough could be a fractured rib. This usually causes pain just with the simple act of breathing. If this continues, and/or there are other symptoms such as coughing up blood or shortness of breath, you should see your doctor right away.