So I have a boil on my leg that has yet to burst and i don't know if I should get it lanced so I have a boil on my leg that has yet to burst and one on my arm that already burst and is healing and I am on doxycycline for 8 days now. The one on my arm seem

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Boils

Boils usually start out as tender, red areas which become hard and then eventually develop a "head" of white pus.
Once this drains, the area usually heals on its own. Most of these are caused by staphylococcus aureas, a common bacteria found on the skin. Occasionally, however, the can be caused by mrsa, the antibiotic resistent kind of staph bacteria. Next time you develop one of these infections, start out by applying warm compresses to the area to help draw the infection out. Then, you should go to your doctor so that they can drain it, test for what bacteria is causing it and be able to treat you appropriately - sometimes with antibiotics, sometimes just with drainage. If you ever develops fever, chills, or feels ill with this infection, call your doctor immediately. You can try and prevent these infections by practicing good hygiene and using anti-bacterial soaps. Your doctor may have other suggestions for prevention.

In brief: Boils

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine