Can congestion and being phlegmy from dairy cause ear infections? Can congestion and runny nose cause ear infections? A family member gets phlegmy from dairy. A family member smokes in the vehicle. The child has had several ear infections and is always co

Dr. Anna Meyer
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: dairy no, smoke yes

Dairy is not associated with ear infections.
Smoke exposure is associated with more frequent ear infections and asthma in children. I encourage you to have all adults in your child's life quit smoking. Even if they smoke outside the home, the toxic subtances are absorbed into their skin, hair and clothes an put children at risk.

In brief: dairy no, smoke yes

Dr. Anna Meyer
Dr. Anna Meyer
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: It

It sounds likes the person in question has asthma.
He/she should be evaluated by a medical professional for this problem and given treatment. Also the child should not be exposed to any second hand smoke which can worsen their asthma. Dairy products tends to make a lot ok kids congested, and therefore should be limited. Congestion does not cause an ear infection, in fact it can be an associated symptom of an ear infection. It is also important to note that kids who are exposed to smoke tend to get more ear infections. I hope everything works out and the child improves. Take care.

In brief: It

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Adam Smith