How does having a hypertrophic cardiomyopathy affect a child's development, will they be small for his age?

Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
In brief: No
Your child will not necessarily be small, but he needs to be very careful s he exercises.
Too much exercise can overload the heart. Be sure that your pediatrician refers you to a pediatric cardiologist to help with your child's care.

In brief: No
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Dr. David Malpass
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Possibly
If a child is diagnosed during the first year of life, the prognosis is not as good.
They may be severely symptomatic and can have impaired growth. Hcm associated with syndromes may also be associated with poor growth. The majority of children, however, will grow normally and appear to be remarkably healthy and robust in spite of having a serious heart problem. Competitive athletics aren't allowed.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. David Malpass
Dr. David Malpass
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: It depends
Genetic syndromes like noonan's and what used to be called leopard are associated with hcm and small size but they have other physical characteristics that are clues for the pediatric cardiologist or pediatrician to refer to a geneticist.
If these are not present, my local pediatric cardiologists tell me the kids can grow normally with proper care. Ask your child's doctors if you're concerned.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care