Can you spread the herpes virus through everyday activity not including sexual contact i recently found out i had the herpes virus. I have a 5 month old. I did not have it while pregnant. I have contracted it since being pregnant and I am worried i haven'

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Cold

Cold sores or fever blisters are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (hsv-1) and are extremely common.
Most people become infected as an infant or small child when kissed or by sharing eating utensils with an adult who has the virus. The virus is most contagious when someone has a cold sore, but can still be passed along by someone who does not. Many people do not even know that they are infected because the virus can "hide out" in the nerve cells for very long periods of time - for some people it hides out forever and they never get a cold sore. For others, the virus can "wake up" and that's when a cold sore happens. No one knows exactly what causes a cold sore to appear - sometimes stress, illness, fevers, colds, sunlight, cold weather, menstruation, certain foods, allergies, you name it! they usually last 7-10 days and are more of an annoyance than a danger unless you have a weakened immune system or contract a bacterial infection on top of the cold sore. Now, if you are concerned about genital herpes (typically caused by hsv-2, but can be caused by hsv-1), then your child's risk of catching it is extremely low if you contracted it after delivering her. It is spread through skin to skin contact of the infected area, so as long as she is not in contact with your genitals (like during delivery), she should be fine.

In brief: Cold

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey