Is mitral valve prolapse really asymptomatic? I have a congenital mitral valve prolapse and a heart murmur. When I started feeling dizzy, fatigued and developed mild chest pain I went to see an cardiologist, because I read on www. Mayoclinic. Com that thes

Arrhythmia. Mitral valve prolapse is typically asymptomatic by itself but can be associated with some abnormal heart rhythms which can be symptomatic.
Agree. Most common symptoms are palpitations and arrhythmias.
The . The mitral valve closes when the heart beats to prevent blood from flowing backwards into the lungs. When the mitral valve does not close properly one of the two leaflets of the valve may protrude beyond the other leaflet. This is called mitral valve prolapse. In most cases, it is harmless and patients are unaware that they have it. Up to 10% of the population has some mitral valve prolapse, but it generally does not affect them. Prolapse can lead to a situation wherein blood will leak backwards through the valve. This is called mitral regurgitation. Mitral valves that have an abnormal structure can raise the risk for infection on the valve. An echocardiogram is usually the best test for assessing mitral valve abnormalities. Generally a heart murmur suggests some degree of regurgitation. Most patients with mitral valve prolapse do not have symptoms and treatment is not needed.
Usually! Overblown in seriousness. Frequently associated with joint hypermobility, pectus excavatum and other peripheral issues. I agree that mild rhythm disturbances can occur, but it is more important to not frighten the patient with this almost always benign condition.
Possible. Mitral vale prolapse (mvp) can cause chest pain, palpitations and sometimes heart murmur. In general it is a benign finding. Rarely the murmur can get worse when the mitral valve chordae is ruptured. Patients develop significant shortness of breat at rest and activity. Rapture of the chordea should bd treated surgically.