Would i qualify for a medical marijuana card in the state of montana? I have chronic pain in my knees from damage and surgery and am in almost constant pain whenever i walk, stand, and even sit for too long. This is a problem since I am in college any wal

Dr. Edwin Perez
Pain Management

In brief: Marijuana

Maybe u need to get ur knees replaced.
Marijuana won't fix the problem.

In brief: Marijuana

Maybe u need to get ur knees replaced.
Marijuana won't fix the problem.
Dr. Edwin Perez
Dr. Edwin Perez

In brief: Get second opinion

Orthopedic surgeons have many solutions for chronic knee pain, including periodic injections of hyaluronic acid.
Prolotherapy may be of benefit. Marijuana can definitely affect your learning ability, and likely not your best choice. Think you need to discuss your dilemma with a new doctor, and it may well be worthwhile to travel to a large city and see a doctor in a medical school environment.

In brief: Get second opinion

In brief: This

This response is being provided by a physician who does not practice medicine in montana.
In the state of montana you must suffer from a qualifying condition to be eligible for a medical marijuana card. Although "severe or chronic pain" falls under that category, your doctor (medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy) needs to determine if your condition is actually qualifying. If your condition is considered qualifying, than your doctor will evaluate if potential benefits outweigh potential risks. You must register with the montana department of health and human services to be a legal medical marijuana patient. Use of marijuana poses a number of potential health risks. Marijuna can negatively impact judgment, memory and learning as well as your immune system. It contains tar and other toxins that impact your airways and it can be psychologically detrimental to people who suffer from bipolar disorder or who have experienced psychosis. Just because medical marijuana is considered "alternative" does not mean that it doesn't have potential serious side effects. I recommend that ask your doctor about options for treating your knee problems. Since you have expressed interest in possible alternative treatment, you may wish to consider acupuncture. You may respond well to chinese scalp acupuncture or a variety of other forms of acupuncture which are safe and effective.

In brief: This