My artifical radial head is loose n causing bone deteration what do you suggest i fell 8 yrs ago and shattered my dial head in my elbow now I am having trouble again this will b my 3rd surgery on this arm due this this im not sure i want to do it agai

Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: The

The elbow, as you know from your experience, is a very complex joint(s) and in some ways behaves differently and is more complex than other joints.
I.E risk of heterotopic bone formation (ho) you have options but need to be evaluated very carefully and with someone with extensive experience with elbows. One option for example is removal of the implant without replacement. As with any option this has both advantages and disadvantages i.E main one being the radius can migrate proximally. You and your doctor will have to weigh risks of leaving things as is versus risks of complications going in again i.E ho, radial nerve injury etc..

In brief: The

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: What

What determines the need for surgery is the degree of symptoms that you are presenting with.
If the pain is not too bad and you can live with it simply leave it alone. If you need surgery simply taking the prosthesis out is a very viable option. There can always be proximal migration of the radius giving you wrist problems along the way. This is called an essex-lopresti lesion. Since this is an 8 years old injury i highly doubt it will be a major issue any time soon.

In brief: What

Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. Aaron Milstone