What could be causing my pain in my shoulder? I fractured a bone in my shoulder and the doctors said it has healed. My range of motion has mostly returned, but my arm is still weak and there is a constant pain when i move my arm. It is a dull pain, but it

Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Regardless

Regardless of the fracture once it is healed you should not be having pain from the fracture proper. The fact that your motion returned tells me that this fracture had minimal to no displacement.
The constant pain with activities with weakness is not something that will go away on its own. I have a very high index of suspicion for a rotator cuff tear or a labral tear. Other common problems include loose bodies (fragments of cartilage / bone chipped off at the moment of the injury), an impingement process from a slightly displaced fracture. Follow up x-rays should be performed and an MRI should be performed sooner than later. The doctor may prefer to do an MRI arthrogram if he feels you could have a labral tear or loose bodies.

In brief: Regardless

Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Hard

Hard to comment precisely without knowing more detail such as what fracture you had, how old you are etc.
.. Having said that, physical therapy is an important part of recovering from injuries. And that certainly holds true for shoulder injuries. It can help you restore motion and strength and reduce pain. You should contact your doctor and talk abou this. Best of luck.

In brief: Hard

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Vikram Patel