I have a few questions? I haven't had my period since november 12, 2011. Could i be pregnant? Im afarid to take the home pregneany test, cause everyone of them have been negative. I need help what should I do? When should I start to worry the longer that

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The only way to know whether you are pregnant or not is for you to take a pregnancy test.
As doctors, the first thing we do when we hear a sexually active woman is missing a period, we check a pregnancy test. You can either take a home pregnancy test as long as it has been 5- 6 weeks since your last normal period, or you can go see your doctor and they can test you. A home pregnancy test is 97% accurate if taken a week or more after the missed period. A blood test can tell if you are pregnant as soon as 7 days after conception and a doctor's urine pregnancy test can tell if you are pregnant around when you next period should come. There are other reasons besides pregnancy that can cause a woman to miss a period such as: stress, diet, excessive exercise, illness or a hormone imbalance such as with a thyroid disorder or poly cystic ovarian syndrome. If your pregnancy test is negative and you continue to not have your period, you should contact your doctor.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jane Van Dis