What all can make your vitamin d levels be at 9 ? What can make it be that low? Vitamin d levels are at 9

In brief: I

I practice in new england and have found that a significant percentage of patients here have low vitamin d levels.
We tend to be bundled up or inside during the colder months and usually get less sun exposure than folks who live south of us. As a result i routinely check vitamin d levels on patients who present with depression or low energy level. This is addressed through their diet and through supplementation.

In brief: I

Dr. Stephen Christensen

In brief: Vitamin

Vitamin d deficiency is actually fairly common.
Even in developed countries, the prevalence of severe vitamin deficiency could be as high as 12-15% (defined by 25[oh]-vitamin d levels below 15 ng/ml [normal levels are between 25-40 ng/ml]). The most common cause of vitamin d deficiency is a combination of inadequate dietary intake and insufficient exposure to sunlight. (as you might guess, vitamin d deficiency is more common at higher latitudes and during winter months.) an increasing number of nutritionists are concerned that dietary guidelines for vitamin d are too low; many experts now recommend that adults consume at least 2, 000 iu daily. Very low intake of calcium and phosphorus can lead to vitamin d deficiency, but this is quite unusual in developed nations. In addition, certain rare genetic disorders can lead to vitamin d deficiency. Your doctor will devise a therapeutic regimen to replenish your vitamin d stores and prevent vitamin d deficiency in the future. Good luck!

In brief: Vitamin

Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Stephen Christensen