I have had a splenectomy. Am i more vulnerable to get hepatitis from a coworker at a restaurant? I was diagnosed with itp 3 years ago. She says she has the "noncontagious" form of hep.

Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Splenectomy increases your risk to get certain gram positive bacterial infections, not viruses.

In brief: No

Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Robert Andrews
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Splenectomy

Splenectomy does increase the risk of certain types of bacterial infections--those caused by what are called "encapsulated organisms.
" you should be getting a regular Pneumovax injection to compensate for that. There are numerous causes of hepatitis, some of which are contagious (hepatitis a, b, and c, for example), and some of which are not (like steatohepatitis). Your risk of getting any of these should be no higher than the general population.

In brief: Splenectomy

Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery