What doctor performs mammoplasy? What doctor performs liposurgery?

Dr. Mia Skourtis
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Mammoplasty

Mammoplasty is the term used for altering the shape, position, and sometimes size of the breast.
A mammoplasty should always be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon, as plastic surgeons are the only surgeons trained and experienced in the most current and safe techniques of mammoplasty. Cosmetic mammoplasty is more commonly called a "breast lift" procedure. The goal of this operation is to lift the breast mass to a more youthful position. In a breast lift, your surgeon will remove excess skin that has stretched during the course of pregnancy, breast feeding, weight change, etc. The breast tissue is repositioned to a higher, more cosmetically appealing position. The resulting scars will either be anchor shaped (scars around the areola, vertical scar extending to the base of the breast, and a curved scar hidden in the fold under the breast), or lollypop shaped (scars around the areola and a vertical scar extending to the base of the breast). Breast implants may also be placed during this procedure if you desire both a breast lift and an increase in breast volume. Cosmetic mammoplasty is not covered by your medical insurance. A different type of mammoplasty which is considered medically necessary in certain patients is a reduction mammoplasty, or breast reduction. While breast reduction may significantly improve the appearance of a woman's breasts, breast reduction is not considered a purely cosmetic procedure. This is because reducing the weight of excessively large breasts helps eliminate symptoms associated with large, heavy breasts such as neck/back/shoulder pain, shoulder grooves, rashes, and difficulty with activity and exercise. Your board certified plastic surgeon likely has extensive experience with this procedure, as it is a very common procedure performed by plastic surgeons, and typically results in a high level of patient satisfaction. All the best, dr. Skourtis.

In brief: Mammoplasty

Dr. Mia Skourtis
Dr. Mia Skourtis
Dr. Barry Handler
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: I

I agree with dr. Skourtis that the term "mammaplasty" refers to shaping the breast.
Typically, enlarging the breast with implants is an augmentation mammaplasty and reducing the size of the breast is called reduction mammaplasty or breast reduction. I usually refer to a breast lift as a mastopexy. To my knowledge the only physicians that are taught these procedures in formal teaching programs that are officially recognized by the american board of medical specialties are plastic surgeons. Of course, since these procedures are often paid for outside of insurance and performed in office surgery centers there is little oversight on who is doing them. It is important for prospective patients to choose wisely, ask questions and see photographs of the surgeon's work. My bias is obviously with board-certified plastic surgeons.

In brief: I

Dr. Barry Handler
Dr. Barry Handler
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Mammoplasties

Mammoplasties (which include surgeries such as breast augmentations and breast reductions) as well as liposuction (also known as lipoplasty or liposculpture) is best performed by plastic surgeons.
The issue though is that legally, any doctor can perform any surgery, so many physicians trained in other specialties choose to perform these procedures because they are financially lucrative. Finding a surgeon certified by the american board of plastic surgery means that they underwent the extensive training, met strict standards and is the best way to ensure your safety.

In brief: Mammoplasties

Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Robert Brueck
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Lipo

Lipo surgery isanother term for liposuction.
This can be performed by several doctors buth usually plastic surgeons have more experince in overall liposuction of various parts of the body.

In brief: Lipo

Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Robert Brueck