Are there any non-drug, non-surgical methods to correct an SVT in a child?

Dr. William Scott
Pediatrics - Cardiology

The cure of svt using a catheter, also known as catheter ablation, is an invasive procedure, but is not a surgical procedure.

Dr. William Scott
Dr. William Scott
2 comments
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
SVT can be treated with medications or an ablation procedure that requires a catheter. It is not an invasive procedure.
The lay public regards the incision used to insert the catheter & the routine of gowning/sedation needed as invasive & surgical whether we do or not.

In brief: Temporarily maybe

I once watched a pediatric cardiologist take a gray baby that looked near death & stick her head in a bucket of ice water. As we watched in surprise the baby turned pink as the kids svt stopped.
Meds were started soon after to keep her alive. I was impressed that this can work, but have kids go back into svt after a few minutes.Avioding available rx could be deadly.

In brief: Temporarily maybe

Dr. William Scott
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Not really

There are reflex maneuvers, known as vagal maneuvers, that can terminate svt, but they do not prevent future episodes of tachycardia.
Similarly medications reduce the likelihood of svt, but do not cure the condition. Catheter ablation is a minimally invasive procedure with low risk and is not really a surgery although many refer to it as such. It is the only option that can cure svt.

In brief: Not really

Dr. William Scott
Dr. William Scott
Dr. Umesh Patel