Want to get pregnant ok I've been trying for a yr, but my periods are not regular i get my period every other month what can I do

Dr. Stephan Krotz
Fertility Medicine

In brief: At

At this point the best thing you can do is see a fertility specialist (reproductive endocrinologist).
The doctor will evaluate your hormones to see what the cause of your irregular cycles is. Normally your cycle should come every 24 to 35 days. Any less frequent suggests you are not ovulating each month (the egg is not coming out of your ovary). The most common causes of irregular cycles are polycystic ovarian syndrome, thyroid problems and elevated prolactin levels. Your ovarian function could be declining as well especially if your age is over 35 years old. As part of a fertility evaluation they will also most likely check your partner's sperm count to make sure he has at least 10 million moving sperm with at least 5% perfectly shaped (strict morphology). If his count is any lower it may reduce your chances for getting pregnant. We know that you have an issue with irregular periods but that does not mean your partner does not have a fertility issue. For one in five couples, there is an issue with both partners. Finally, your doctor may suggest a hysterosalpingogram to see if your tubes are open, otherwise the sperm and egg have no way to meet. The doctor may also evaluate your uterus with an ultrasound or hysteroscope (small camera). In terms of treatment, some conditions causing irregular cycles may be treated with regular medicines. Others may require fertility medications such as clomid, (clomiphene) Letrozole or gonadotropins (fsh or lh) which are injectable. If it turns out that your tubes are damaged then you may need to undergo in vitro fertilization.

In brief: At

Dr. Stephan Krotz
Dr. Stephan Krotz
Dr. Jane Van Dis