How is surgery performed to fix hyperparathyroidism? What are the risk I should be concerned with? I'm in my mid-twenties and have experienced issues with kidney stones. Not only have I passed two over the past couple of years, but the test done by my uro

Endocrinologist . Your have several (4) parathyroid glands, removing one can help with eliminating your kidney stones in the future. Look for the surgeon with experience doing it. All your concerns should be addressed by surgeon and endocrinologist before surgery.
Hyperparathyroidism . Hyperparathyroidism is caused by overactivity of one or more of the four tiny parathyroid glands which are located in your neck. The first step is to prove you have hyperparathyroidism and that is done by a simple blood test. Then, an ultrasound scan and a nuclear medicine scan are done to see if we can find an overactive parathyroid gland. If only one gland is overactive, the surgery is quite straightforward and is done through a small incision in the neck. Most patients go home the same day. When there is a family history we often find that all four glands are overactive. If all four glands are overactive, the surgery is more complicated, because all four of the glands need to be found and 3 1/2 need to be removed. The major risk is for hypoparathyroidism (underactive parathyroids) after surgery. This can be treated with medicine. Another risk is damage to the vocal cord nerves leading to hoarseness. Both of these complications are extremely rare when the surgery is done by an experienced surgeon. The most important thing for you to do is to find the best parathyroid surgeon in your region.