I am having pain in my elbow, can you tell me what it is? Last night it started when i had extend my arm outwards and a sharp pain went through my elbow, then today i did the same thing and it still hurts. One of my friends wrapped it up but it didn't wor

Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It

It is difficult to give you a solid answer without history and exam. You have not indicated your age, and the activity that created the problem. Since there is no trauma the most common problem for pain on the outside of the elbow would be a tennis elbow or lateral epicondilitis.
If this is the area of pain try icing, over the counter analgesics, and resting. A simple test is to try to lift something with your palm up vs your palm down. If lifting with your palm down causes pain and this is not tender lifting with your palm up the problem is the epicondylitis. If you have any bruising or pain on the front part of the elbow another possibility would be an avulsion of the biceps. If that is the case seek care asap as it would need a surgical repair. This opinion is no substitute for a medical encouter. Consult your doctor for a full assessment.

In brief: It

Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: I

I agree with the previous post.
Other things that may affect an elbow include arthritis, simple muscular tightness and nerve irritation. I agree that evaluation may be needed.

In brief: I

I agree with the previous post.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Vikram Patel