I have a question about detection of ovulation with a opk? I started using the clear blue digital ovulation test 20pk day 6 of my december cycle to try and catch my LH surge. I tested twice everyday, once at 1p the other about 10p. The first time i detect

Dr. Steven Ory

In brief: I

I agree with the rep that the 1st day that you detected a surge most likely represents your true lh surge.
The cramps that you described are often experienced by women that ovulate but their timing is less specifically related to the exact time of ovulation. Implantation is usually not associated with discomfort. Cramping pain lasting more than 2 days is less likely to be related to ovulation but may be common when ovulation inducing drugs are used or patients have other underlying condition such as endometriosis. Keep in mind that there is only about a 20% chance of conception each cycle under optimal conditions. If you have proven past fertility and continue to ovulate you should have an excellent chance of conception within a few cycles. If you are not pregnant within 3 or 4 months or over 35, other testing should be considered.

In brief: I

Dr. Steven Ory
Dr. Steven Ory
Dr. Ew Moffitt

In brief: A

A normal lh surge lasts more than one day.
I routinely ask my patients to test one day after the first positive to confirm that the test is positive for at least two days. This confirms that they had a good lh surge. Cramping after an lh surge can be due to stretching of the supporting structures to the ovary as the ovary gets large at the time of ovulation. Sometimes a blood vessel bleeds into the cyst where the egg was released forming what is called a hemorrhagic corpus luteum. This can make the ovary large and also cause stretching of the supporting structures of the ovary which is perceived as pain. Usually this pain is perceived as right or left of central. Central cramping after ovulation can be a sign of inadequate Progesterone production from the ovary. Progesterone is a hormone that makes the uterus receptive to implantation of the developing embryo. When it's production by the ovary is inadequate, early cramping and bleeding can result. It is unlikely that your symptoms are symptoms of pregnancy. If you had your first lh surge on 12/31, the embryo has just barely implanted. A larger question is why are you testing yourself for ovulation? It is not a bad idea to do this to confirm that you consistently ovulate. It is less of a good idea to use it to time intercourse. What i mean is that it is not a good idea to abstain from intercourse until your kit turns positive. This is because the egg is only fertilizable for 24 hours. If your detection of the lh surge is off by one day and you are abstaining from intercourse, you will not be able to get pregnant that month. It is a much better idea to identify generally the time of your cycle when you ovulate and then start having intercourse every other day before that time.

In brief: A

Dr. Ew Moffitt
Dr. Ew Moffitt
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham