I have high cortisol levels. What does this mean? I am in perimenopause and have been tested for my hormone levels. A recent saliva test showed I have high cortisol levels. I have been suffering from anxiety, depression and insomnia. I am under going

Dr. Scott Musinski

In brief: High

High cortisol levels should be confirmed and further evaluated by an internist or endocrinologist.
Salivary testing is not mainstream and could be misleading. Stress can result in elevations of cortisol but these will usually suppress with Dexamethasone (this is part of the further testing).

In brief: High

Dr. Scott Musinski
Dr. Scott Musinski
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Elevated cortisol levels was the first biologic marker identified for severe depression. It is not routinely tested since it is common in other conditions often associated with weight loss. Some naturalpaths test for a variety of hormones which is often misleading and should only be viewed in the context of a complete physical and psychologic evaluation

In brief: Stress

High cortisol levels are commonly associated with high stress or anxiety.
In the mouth, this could put you at risk for developing apthous ulcers, commonly called canker sores.

In brief: Stress

Dr. Matthew Giulianelli
Dr. Matthew Giulianelli
Dr. Eric Weisman