What should I do if my son swallowed a magnet?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: ER or 911 ASAP
This is very dangerous and requires emergent removal.
Call 911 or go to the er asap if this happens.

In brief: ER or 911 ASAP
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Doctor can evaluate
If an older child swallows only one magnet, there is nothing inside his body to stick to the magnet.
His primary care doctor can order an x-ray if the magnet isn't seen in his poop after a few days. If a child swallows more than 1 magnet, or is young or unreliable, then the magnets need to be quickly removed at a hospital, because they can stick to each other from opposite sides of an intestine.

In brief: Doctor can evaluate
In brief: Let it pass
If the magnet passed into the stomach(is not hung up in the throat) it should pass without problems in the next 3-5 days.
I keep a simple metal screening wand in the office that will verify position changes if mom is concerned. It helps avoid xrays on such a minor event.I can't think of any bad side effects if it stays around for a while.

In brief: Let it pass
Dr. Jonathan Jassey