7 doctors weighed in:

What should I do if my son swallowed a magnet?

7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Pediatrics
3 doctors agree

In brief: ER or 911 ASAP

This is very dangerous and requires emergent removal.
Call 911 or go to the er asap if this happens.

In brief: ER or 911 ASAP

This is very dangerous and requires emergent removal.
Call 911 or go to the er asap if this happens.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Thank
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Doctor can evaluate

If an older child swallows only one magnet, there is nothing inside his body to stick to the magnet.
His primary care doctor can order an x-ray if the magnet isn't seen in his poop after a few days. If a child swallows more than 1 magnet, or is young or unreliable, then the magnets need to be quickly removed at a hospital, because they can stick to each other from opposite sides of an intestine.

In brief: Doctor can evaluate

If an older child swallows only one magnet, there is nothing inside his body to stick to the magnet.
His primary care doctor can order an x-ray if the magnet isn't seen in his poop after a few days. If a child swallows more than 1 magnet, or is young or unreliable, then the magnets need to be quickly removed at a hospital, because they can stick to each other from opposite sides of an intestine.
Dr. Robert Kwok
Dr. Robert Kwok
Thank
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics

In brief: Let it pass

If the magnet passed into the stomach(is not hung up in the throat) it should pass without problems in the next 3-5 days.
I keep a simple metal screening wand in the office that will verify position changes if mom is concerned. It helps avoid xrays on such a minor event.I can't think of any bad side effects if it stays around for a while.

In brief: Let it pass

If the magnet passed into the stomach(is not hung up in the throat) it should pass without problems in the next 3-5 days.
I keep a simple metal screening wand in the office that will verify position changes if mom is concerned. It helps avoid xrays on such a minor event.I can't think of any bad side effects if it stays around for a while.
Dr. James Ferguson
Dr. James Ferguson
Thank
Read more answers from doctors