My boyfriend has MRSA and I am wondering what to wash his linens with to kill the bacteria? Also if they're letting him out of the hospital do you think it is okay for me and my 3 year old to spend the night at his house or are we still at risk?

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: The

The best disinfectant to combat MRSA is household bleach.
The bleach must be mixed with water prior to cleaning (90% water, 10% bleach). There is a difference between your boyfriend having a wound that is MRSA positive versus him being a carrier of MRSA (on skin and in nose). Regardless here are some things to protect yourself and your child: wash hands regularly with soap and water (not antibacterial soap) don't share personal items like towels don't handle any bandages of the affected person if applicable if he is just a carrier then your risk is fairly low if you follow the above, especially hand washing. Best of luck.

In brief: The

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: It's not EBOLA

MRSA is a common bacteria that can be found almost anywhere.
It is on floors, door handles, shopping carts, etc. It is found in 70% of the pustules or abscesses treated as outpatients.Perhaps knowing he had an infection with it will remind you to wash your hands more. You are at risk of MRSA every day. Try not to treat him like an EBOLA carrier. Good regular hand washing should be enough.

In brief: It's not EBOLA

Dr. Lauren Romeo
Wound care

In brief: Disinfectant

Household disinfectant can be used in hot water machine washing.
Warm dryer. Clean surfaces with bleach or disinfectant. Hand washing is key for people to decrease the bacteria on the skin. You may need to shampoo pets as well.

In brief: Disinfectant

Dr. Lauren Romeo
Dr. Lauren Romeo