How do you know if you have a kidney stone? There's pain in the area and fever

Dr. Larry Grissom
Radiology

In brief: X-ray or CT scan

Stones are of different chemical composition.
Whether a stone can be seen on a plain x-ray of the abdomen depends on the size of the stone as well as it's composition. A ct scan without IV contrast is more sensitive for smaller or less dense stones. Even a large stone in the kidney that has not moved into the tube that drains the kidney ( known as the ureter) usually does not cause pain.

In brief: X-ray or CT scan

Dr. Larry Grissom
Dr. Larry Grissom
Dr. Michael George
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Kidney

Kidney stone pain typically is sudden in onset and often waxes and wanes in intensity.
Pain will often radiate from the flank to the lower abdomen or groin. Sometimes associated pain with urination or blood in the urine will coexist. Also nausea and vomiting are common. If the pain comes on gradually and is constant with fever and chills, a kidney infection is possible. I would suggest an urinalysis to start and either and ultrasound of the kidney or ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis to exclude a kidney stone. The advantages to ct would be to exclude other etiologies to your pain. I hope this provides some assistance.

In brief: Kidney

Dr. Michael George
Dr. Michael George
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine