What do you do when you have a bi polar child who is very smart but the school is having troubles with grades at school?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Ask for an IEP

You have some legal rights.
You can request, in writing with the principal of your child's school, something called an: individualized educational plan or an iep. This is based on public law 94-142. That is a little known 'secret' which requires that a team develop a plan, to which you will be asked to agree at the iep meeting. Your state school board can help with advocacy. Good luck.

In brief: Ask for an IEP

You have some legal rights.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: No easy answers

I apologize in advance, but i'm sure you've heard this before.
There are so many variables involved here. First, there needs to be an honest assessment of his abilities and intelligence. Then a thorough discussion with those involved to get their ideas of what his barriers are. A psychologist with expertise in the area can observe him at school and give specific advice.

In brief: No easy answers

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Cory Annis
I agree with my colleague, adding that if bipolar disorder is properly diagnosed and treated, it does not, by itself, prevent good grades. Some medications can interfere with performance so make sure the prescribing MD checks both the child & the meds regularly. Assuming that's OK, the child should be evaluated for coexisting learning disabilities & held to the same standard as nonbipolar kids
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Special ed

The parent needs to type a letter to formally request an IEP (indiviualized educational program) from the school.
Then they are federally mandated to actually help you. First paragraph:how grades are being affected and second, list down what you you think may help if school did the right e.g. smaller classroom, regular councelor visits weekly, lower homework load etc. But no 504 plan-too weak.

In brief: Special ed

Dr. Carlos Barrios
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Dr. Jonathan Jassey