What are the most common health and safety precautions that can be taken to prevent accidents in children around the house?

Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Locks and gates
The person most dangerous to the average toddler is himself.
Any potentially toxic substances, cleaners, sprays, medicines, alcohol etc., should be out of reach and/or locked up. Heavy objects that can topple (like big table lamps) should be out of reach. Stairways should be gated securely. Choking hazards should be stored. Remember, accidents will happen anyway. Stay calm when they do.

In brief: Locks and gates
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Chad Rudnick
In brief: Look, look, & look
get down to a child's level and look around.
.. every electrical outlet, furniture corner, hanging cord, unsecured furniture, stairs, steps, tile floors, cabinets, chemicals, medicines... etc. etc. etc. all need to be secured, covered, gated off. Ask others to help you look for hazards in the home. There are even companies that specialize in protecting the home for a child (depending on city)

In brief: Look, look, & look
Dr. Chad Rudnick
Dr. Chad Rudnick
Dr. Cindy Williams
In brief: Safety
Way too much for 400 letters! Try: http://www.
babycenter.com/0_childproofing-around-the-house_460.bc. Sadly, in most of the terrible accidents that I've seen; parents say the same thing, 'I only took my eyes of them for a second'. Safety and health concerns should also be discussed at your well child visits.

In brief: Safety
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Shontae Buffington