Could you give me the median survival for the elderly, over 65, with acute lymphoblastic leukemia? Also, what was it 30 yrs. Ago? I lost a loved one in 1982, wondering if life expectancy improving in this age group? I'm not sure what the life expectancy w

Not too good... Age older than 60 years is one of the adverse prognostic indicators for adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia. The presence of the philadelphia chromosome, mll gene rearrangement, WBC over 100, 000/microliter, and failure to achieve remission after 4 weeks of therapy are other poor prognostic factors. Overall, only 20-40% of adults are cured and these are usually the ones without adverse factors.
Modern . Modern therapy is expected to get 60 - 80% of adults with all into remission. Unfortunately, with standard chemotherapy alone only 30-40% of adult all patients live more than 2 years. This likely compares to a 20-30% long-term survival rate in the early 1980s. Much more significant improvements have been made in the treatment of children with all with long-term survival in over 80% of kids with the disease. We now know much more about the genetic abnormalities in the cancer cells than we did in the 1980's and can better predict a patient's prognosis and tailor treatment for them. In particular, outcomes are now much better for mature b-cell all and there are targeted agents available for treating philadelphia chromosome-positive disease as well. Age continues to be a poor prognostic factor with people over 50 not fairing as well as younger adult patients.