Should i worry about my in-laws feeding my 8 month old son with their non-washed hands? See additional details. I have an 8 month old son, and in-laws who feel the need to feed him with their fingers. They do not take the time to wash their hands and are

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: We

We do recommend that people wash their hands prior to making formula, preparing finger foods or feeding an infant.
We also recommend that adults wash their hands prior to preparing their own food and eating to prevent the spread of illness. You are not just preventing the spread of cold viruses which may be what your in-laws are thinking about, but also of food-born illness such as e. Coli, rota virus and hepatitis a. Frequent handwashing is one of the most effective ways of preventing illness - studies have proven this over and over. Since you are the parents and are the ones that will have to deal with the fallout of any illness he contracts (sleepless nights, crying, and just plain misery), i don't think hand washing is an unreasonable request at all.

In brief: We

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Cindy Juster