I got my period that is one week late and very light, what could this be due to? I am 20 years old, I have irregular periods so it didn't alarm me that my period was a week later than last month, but mostly every period I have comes with major cramps and

Is . Is there a possibility you could be pregnant? As doctors, the first thing we do when we hear a woman is having a light or missed period or abnormal spotting, we check a pregnancy test. You can either take a home pregnancy test as long as it has been 5- 6 weeks since your last normal period, or you can go see your doctor and they can test you. A home pregnancy test is 97% accurate if taken a week or more after the missed period. A blood test can tell if you are pregnant as soon as 7 days after conception and a doctor's urine pregnancy test can tell if you are pregnant around when you next period should come. There are other reasons besides pregnancy that can cause a woman to miss a period or have a lighter period such as: stress, diet, excessive exercise, weight loss, illness or a hormone imbalance such as with a thyroid disorder or poly cystic ovarian syndrome. If you continue to not have your period or if they continue to be irregular, you should contact your doctor.