My 3 year old is lactose intolerant & hypothyroid, what's the best milk substitute?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Avoid Soy

Soy products will hamper the absorption of thyroid hormone medication from the gut.
Try lactaid milk or yogurt products. Please keep in mind that if your child's dairy intake, particularly milk, is decreased, a daily multivitamin containing 100% vitamin d, may become necessary. Please discuss with your child's doctor.

In brief: Avoid Soy

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Alternatives

Lots of alternatives to plain milk in situations like this.
Lactaid is one option. Soy milk is another option as long as it isn't ingested within an hour or so of taking levothyroxine as it is known to interfere in the absorption of the medication. Please discuss with your doctor also.

In brief: Alternatives

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Lactaid is both the name of a milk with the missing lactase enzyme & a pill that lactose intolerant people can take to avoid the symptoms when they eat lactose containing products.

In brief: Can use Lactaid milk

The university of rochester medical center pediatric nutrition web page has a long list of lactose-free foods (plus things to avoid): www.
Urmc.Rochester.Edu/childrens-hospital/nutrition/lactose-free.Cfm lactose intolerant persons (over age 3 yr) can always take lactaid chewables or tablets with meals or snacks that contain lactose. Lactaid milk is fine, and comes as whole, lowfat, or nonfat milk.

In brief: Can use Lactaid milk

In brief: Various products

The frequency of lactose intolerance is so high there are many products commonly available for consumers.
In my area, "lactaid" is the name of a bovine milk with the missing enzyme added so it can be easily digested. Here it is usually sold in quart boxes. There are other lactose free products out there but you have to develop a taste for them. I wouldn't be concerned about the thyroid issue.

In brief: Various products

Dr. Patricia Vuguin

In brief: Do not use soy

Soy interfere with the thyroid medication.

In brief: Do not use soy

Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Jonathan Jassey