My 3 year old is lactose intolerant & hypothyroid, what's the best milk substitute?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Avoid Soy
Soy products will hamper the absorption of thyroid hormone medication from the gut.
Try lactaid milk or yogurt products. Please keep in mind that if your child's dairy intake, particularly milk, is decreased, a daily multivitamin containing 100% vitamin d, may become necessary. Please discuss with your child's doctor.

In brief: Avoid Soy
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Alternatives
Lots of alternatives to plain milk in situations like this.
Lactaid is one option. Soy milk is another option as long as it isn't ingested within an hour or so of taking levothyroxine as it is known to interfere in the absorption of the medication. Please discuss with your doctor also.

In brief: Alternatives
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Lactaid is both the name of a milk with the missing lactase enzyme & a pill that lactose intolerant people can take to avoid the symptoms when they eat lactose containing products.
In brief: Can use Lactaid milk
The university of rochester medical center pediatric nutrition web page has a long list of lactose-free foods (plus things to avoid): www.
Urmc.Rochester.Edu/childrens-hospital/nutrition/lactose-free.Cfm lactose intolerant persons (over age 3 yr) can always take lactaid chewables or tablets with meals or snacks that contain lactose. Lactaid milk is fine, and comes as whole, lowfat, or nonfat milk.

In brief: Can use Lactaid milk
In brief: Various products
The frequency of lactose intolerance is so high there are many products commonly available for consumers.
In my area, "lactaid" is the name of a bovine milk with the missing enzyme added so it can be easily digested. Here it is usually sold in quart boxes. There are other lactose free products out there but you have to develop a taste for them. I wouldn't be concerned about the thyroid issue.

In brief: Various products
Dr. Patricia Vuguin
In brief: Do not use soy
Soy interfere with the thyroid medication.

In brief: Do not use soy
Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Marsha Davis