When should I be concerned of rapid heart rate? Experiencing rapid heart rate for several months

The . The medical term for a rapid heart rhythm is tachycardia. There are many different types of tachycardias and their clinical importance depends on several key factors with heart rate being only one of those. Other important variable include the type of tachycardia, patient’s age, other associated health problems, etc. For example, while two people may have the same ‘heart rate’ (say 175 ‘beats per minutes’ or bpm), the prognosis is very different in a young health person who reaches that rate only while running a marathon on a hot day (sinus tachycardia or normal fast heart rhythm) than in a heart attack survivor with a history of heart failure who has just been resuscitated from an out of hospital cardiac arrest secondary to ventricular tachycardia (a life threatening from the bottom chambers of the heart). Other common tachycardias include atrial fibrillation and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (psvt). While both of these tachycardias involve the upper chambers of the heart, only atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk of strokes. In most patients with atrial fibrillation, their stroke risk can be decreased with the use of blood thinners such as warfarin. Among patients with tachycardias, symptoms can range from nothing to palpitations, shortness of breath and passing out to death. While most abnormal heart rhythms can be diagnosed and treated by well-trained primary care physicians, cardiac electrophysiologists (cardiologists specialized in rhythm disturbances) are the experts in this area.