Can cancer come back after 19 years of remission? I had neuroblastoma at 13 months old. went through chemo, radiation, and surgery to remove the tumor. I'm now 26 years old and it wasn’t supposed to recur ever never.

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

When patients are treated for one type of tumor there is a slightly higher risk of developing solid tumors in latter life, usually 15-20 years later.

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Unfortunately

Unfortunately neuroblastoma can recur, the likelihood goes down as the years pass, however there is still some risk.
You need to be followed up by a oncologist, if you have not seen one in a while then they will likely do a baseline imaging study like a ct or mri, then they will discuss how often you need to follow up and when you should return if symptoms arise. Very little is known about the genetics of neuroblastoma. It is wise to inform your children's pediatrician about your history. Take care.

In brief: Unfortunately

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: It would be very

Unusual for neuroblastoma to recur 19 years later. However, second malignancy (another kind) can occur, and if at the spot where your neuroblastoma was, and was radiated, sarcomas are possible.
Congratulations on your survival. Good luck on this next journey. I wish you well.

In brief: It would be very

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi