What is the best method/technique of fat harvesting and injecting? Dear doctors, I have linear morphea on my face. I consulted some cosmetic surgeons, they all advised me fat transfer to fill/correct the depression (fat loss) on the face caused by the m

As . As other surgeons have indicated, the most important factor in a successful fat transfer procedure is proper, gentle handling of the harvested fat. There are two major methods of fat harvesting. The first is the standard technique of manual suction, washing, and separation of the fat. The newer technique is an in-line harvesting system, which uses a more standard liposuction technique with collection, separation, and washing of the fat within the suctioning system. The second approach avoids multiple transfers and air exposures of the harvested fat, and offers equivalent long term results following transfer. Also important to the ultimate outcome of fat transfer is the injection technique. Surgeons may choose to use standard injection needles or custom designed blunt fat injection cannulas with no difference in results. The important factor in injection technique is very small volume injections made in multiple passes through the appropriate tissue planes. Postoperatively, one should avoid repetitive use of the treated area, especially in active areas such as the hand. Despite excellent technique with both harvesting and injection, transferred fat may be expected to retain approximately 40-80% (average 60%) of its volume in long term follow up. For this reason, most patients may expect that fat transfer may need to be performed as a several stage procedure. All the best, dr. Skourtis.
In . In general, i agree with the other post about handling the fat cells gently. They are usually harvested with a small cannula using gentle suction. Then they are placed in a centrifuge to concentrate the fat and separate it from the serum, blood cells and oil produced from damaged fat cells. My only concern is your mention of hemifacial atrophy which has a name but is a poorly understood process. There is some thought that local factors cause the fat to atrophy and clinically what we see is sucess rates with fat grafting or fat flap transfers is that once the fat is moved to the new location is behaves like the fat already there and atrophys. Before committing to the procedure, i suggest you seek out someone who has used fat transfers in the setting of hemifacial atrophy. Try dr. Coleman at www.Lipostructure.Com.
There . There are many techniques out there in which to both harvest and inject fat cells for facial fat grafting. In my experience and opinion, the key is handling the cells very gently so as to not damage them. For harvesting, this involves using manual liposuction (not powered), limited exposure to air, and minimal manipulation. Regarding injecting it is important to place the fat in very small droplets using a layering method. This allows for new blood vessels to grow in and supply the newly placed graft cells. Hundreds of passes are made in order to get the best results. Since there isn't one "correct" method to perform fat transfer i would focus on your potential surgeon's results. You want to see durable long-term results to see tht their technique is successful.