Is there a good, safe way to disinfect the toys my child plays with?

Dr. Cindy Williams

In brief: Cleaning

There are several ways.
Washing machine or dishwasher, if appropriate. Just plain soap and water. Dish soap is fine. Disinfectant sprays or wipes or just a solution of 1 tablespoon of bleach in 1 quart of water or ¼ cup of bleach in a gallon of water.

In brief: Cleaning

There are several ways.
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Johanna Fricke
The least expensive is to use a 10% Clorox solution, 1 part Clorox to 10 parts water, then rinse & dry toys.

In brief: Portable Steamer

There are a variety of simple steamers out there that allow you to load up with tap water, plug the unit in for a while and then run a cloud of steam under preasure over play surfaces & toys.
The steam sanitizes and evaporates quickly, allowing penetration over irregular surfaces with a variety of origins without leaving an odor or toxic film. I keep one in the office that sees regular use.

In brief: Portable Steamer

Dr. Cindy Juster