Is there a difference between cretinism and congenital hypothyroidism?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

Cretinism is an old description of children with growth stunning due to profound hypothyroidism, either congenital or acquired who go untreated.
Their physical appearance is quite unique but now seldom encountered due to new born screening and early detection. I myself have not seen a case during my entire fellowship period ! it is present in other parts of the world where newborn screen is absent.

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Extreme

Being born with hypothyroidism is congenital.
Cretinism is profound congenital hypothyroidism.The appearance of a baby with cretinism is more apparent the longer the hypothyroidism is untreated. Dull look, thick tongue, jaundice, low muscle tone, constipation, coarse cry, etc newborn screening prevents this mostly by identifying hypothyroidism within days of birth. Must treat to avoid brain damage.

In brief: Extreme

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Patricia Vuguin

In brief: Related

Cretinism a condition of severely stunted physical and mental growth due to untreated congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones, and congenital hypothyroidism is decreased thyroid hormone production in a newborn with or without symptoms.

In brief: Related

Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Patricia Vuguin

In brief: Cretinism...

...Is a serious disability that hypothyroidism develops into if left untreated.

In brief: Cretinism...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky

In brief: A mater of history

Creatinism is an old term that was used to describe many of the children kept in institutions in great brittan in the late 1800's.
It often included children we know now to have had untreated congenital hypothroidism but also included many that had down syndrome. They had a similar physical appearance and major mental and physical delays. Some continue to use the term for untreated, symptomatic kids.

In brief: A mater of history

Dr. Cindy Juster