I might have schizophrenia, what do I do? My grandmother has schizophrenia. I am only nineteen, but i fear that i might have it too. I sometimes feel like people are following me, and i make rash assumptions about certain things. Often the rash assumption

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Hard to tell

In many cases, there may be no real outward signs.
In other cases, a person may talk to themselves or even gesture to themselves as if they are having a conversation with an imaginary person. In all cases, schizophrenia is best managed with treatment consisting of an antipsychotic medication. I prefer Invega sustenna (paliperidone palmitate) which is an injection lasting one month. Good luck.

In brief: Hard to tell

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Eric Levin
Do not assume you have anything as important as Schizophrenia! See a Psychiatrist and if necessary get psychological testing by a well trained Neuropsychologist before starting any medication for Schizophrenia. Even thou it might run in the family you may have less than a 50% chance of having it depending upon how actually has it in the family [blood related].
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Regardless

Regardless of whether you have schizophrenia, if you are concerned about your mental well-being, then you should talk to your doctor. If you have thoughts, emotions, or behaviors that are affecting you and others around you in a negative way, then it is worth looking in to.
Since there are many other disorders besides schizophrenia that can be attributed to the symptoms you describe, you should see a psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis and treatment. Call your doctor and either get an appointment with them or ask for a referral to a psychiatrist they know and trust. Good luck!

In brief: Regardless

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen