I take warafrin my levels today are 7.7 how worried should I be? My doc said stop meds for 3 days then resume.

Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Too high & needs

Close follow up..
.Would repeat inr after 3 days & then decide if resumption of Coumadin (warfarin) is in order.

In brief: Too high & needs

Close follow up..
Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch

In brief: Too high

Stopping is correct, recheck inr and adjusting doses are common.
Any bleeding from nose, gut, or new pain or symptoms may need immediate attention.

In brief: Too high

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Delia Weiss

In brief: Anyone

Anyone taking warfarin should have a medical communication system set up with his/her physician to effectively regularly monitor and track lab test levels and medicine dosing.
Typically the medicine is taken at the end of the day and the lab test is done early in day to allow for immediate dose adjustments by the physician regularly monitoring the medicine. The patient is typically responsible for keeping in close regular contact with the physician's office in order to properly regulate the dose and avoid ineffectively low dose or side effects from too high a dose. The lab test measured is the prothrombin time inr, which is a ratio of measured lab value to a standard baseline value. Therapeutic levels range from inr of approximately 1.5 to 3.0, depending on the medical illness being treated. Too low an inr indicates inadequate treatment, and too high an inr indicates bleed risk. Training on the details of diet and regulation of the medication should be sought by patients begun on Coumadin in order to avoid complications.

In brief: Anyone

Dr. Delia Weiss
Dr. Delia Weiss
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology