Is it normal for a 9yo to sleep in the same bed as a parent?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Sure
Personally, I don't like the idea for my kids.
But professionally, I think it's a parental decision. This will not make a bad child or screw them in any grand fashion. This is a personal choice for each family. The question simply is - what do the parents want. If you don't mind, fine. If you do mind, then get to work on easing your children back into their beds.

In brief: Sure
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Depends on culture
Within some aboriginal tribes of the rain forest it is common for the tribe to sleep communialy, in family groups.
It is part of a culture that requires consensis for all decisions & holds individualism a taboo. Industrialized cultures prize self reliance & individual accomplishment.That starts with being able to sleep alone.If you want to raise a self reliant kid you help him learn to sleep alone.

In brief: Depends on culture
Dr. Jonathan Jassey