I recently had a MRI on my ankle due to chronic pain and swelling on the lateral side. I'm a 59 y/o female. 13 yrs ago i had a triple arthrodesis after a severe calcaneal fracture. The MRI shows the peroneal tendons are dislocated, impingement, and degene

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Follow up

With podiatrist or orthopedist.

In brief: Follow up

With podiatrist or orthopedist.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Your

Your condition is likely surgical.
You may require a tibiotalar fusion to complete the pantalar arthrodesis or an ankle replacement. Before going for these drastic measures i feel it is reasonable to consider an arthroscopic debridement of the joint, getting rid of the osteophytes on the front of the ankle and stabilizing the peroneals. The ankle joint tolerates arthritis far better than the hip or the knee. There is no perfect answer but you should always try being as least aggressive as possible. Best of luck!

In brief: Your

Your condition is likely surgical.
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine