How can sex effect my period I have been gone at college, i come home about every 3 weeks to see my family and my fiance. My fiance an i don't get a lot of time together so when we do we have a very strong physical relationship, when i'm back. Well i came

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Sex

Sex can cause you to miss your period by causing you to be pregnant, but the basic activity of sex shouldn't affect your cycle.
As doctors, anytime a fertile, sexually active woman has an abnormally light or missed period, the first thing we do is rule out pregnancy. Using protection is great, but not a 100% guarantee against pregnancy. You can either take a home pregnancy test as long as it has been 5- 6 weeks since your last normal period, or you can go see your doctor and they can test you. A home pregnancy test is 97% accurate if taken a week or more after the missed period, so a negative test in that time period would help confirm that you are not pregnant. A blood test can tell if you are pregnant as soon as 7 days after conception and a doctor's urine pregnancy test can tell if you are pregnant around when you next period should come. There are other reasons besides pregnancy that can cause a woman to miss a period such as: stress (like you mentioned), diet, weight loss, excessive exercise or a hormone imbalance such as with a thyroid disorder or polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you are pregnant or continue to have an irregular cycle, give your doctor a call.

In brief: Sex

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham