If I have depression, what is the likelihood that my son will have problems with panic attacks?

Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Possible

If an infant/child develops an unusual degree of separation anxiety as a result of poor attachment, the same child is at increased risk of developing panic disorder.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Hard to tell

Mental illnesses can run in families, but they are not inherited in a strict genetic manner. Instead, they are multifactorial and many factors including genetics, environment, social situations and even illnesses can play a role in the development of depression, panic attacks, etc.

In brief: Hard to tell

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Cindy Juster