I have a single hard lymph node in the side of my neck just above the clavicle I have a single hard lymph node in the side of my neck just above the clavicle it's not painful and it has the same size of a single grain of peas it has been there for about a

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Enlarged

Enlarged lymph nodes or "lymphadenopathy" are very common.
Lymph nodes are part of the immune system and enlarge with white blood cells to fight off infections when they detect a foriegn substance such as a virus or bacteria. (ever notice lumps in your neck with a sore throat?) usually these nodes shrink back down to normal size a few weeks after the infection is over, but can sometimes stay enlarged. No one is quite sure why this happens, but it's usually harmless. Other illnesses such as autoimmune disease or cancer can cause enlarged lymph nodes, but often multiple nodes are involved, they can get very large, keep growing instead of shrinking and are associated with other symptoms such as fever, chills, weight loss, rash, etc. Presuming that you have no other symptoms besides this noticeable but unchanging node, odds of it being anything dangerous are extremely low. Reasons to see your doctor would include an enlarging node, more noticeable nodes appearing, any other signs of illness or if it concerns you and you just want it checked out.

In brief: Enlarged

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Adam Smith