If both my wife and I have diabetes type 2, what are the chances that my son will get diabetes?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Pretty high.

But mostly that depends on lifestyle.
Most kids who have type ii dm are obese and have family history of diabetes. Kids who are overweight or obese arent big because of genetics. They are big because the whole family lacks exercise and has a poor diet. Make sure you put maximum effort into ensuring your child stays physically active and eats well. And be a good model and lose weight too.

In brief: Pretty high.

But mostly that depends on lifestyle.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Jeffrey Ogden
When I was obese and had diabetes, I taught my (then 15 yr old) daughter through my bad example how to be obese. As I lost weight, I have been teaching my other (now 15 yr old) daughter how to eat healthfully. The older daughter struggles with obesity. The younger one never will. All because of my bad or good behavior / lifestyle.
Dr. Patricia Vuguin

In brief: 1 in 2

Type 2 diabetes runs in families.
In part, this tendency is due to children learning bad habits eating a poor diet, not exercising--from their parents. But there is also a genetic basis. Worst if the parent with type 2 diabetes is the mother. If both you and your partner have type 2 diabetes, your child's risk is about 1 in 2 (ada source).

In brief: 1 in 2

Type 2 diabetes runs in families.
Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Dr. Patricia Vuguin

In brief: Depends on lifestyle

A child whose parents both have type 2 dm, has the potential to grow up without the affliction.
However, the family incidence of this problem is more about patterns of family feeding style than genetics. Fully 1/4 of todays children are overweight and 60% of their parents are unaware or unconcerned about their status. Proper feeding, weight and activity in your son can avoid the problem.

In brief: Depends on lifestyle

Dr. Jonathan Jassey