Can i pop my ganglion cyst on my wrist with a thumbtack and push out the gel substance I've tried hitting it with a book and it wont work and I've had it for like 6 months now and i want to get rid of it

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Ganglion cyst

This is a benign cyst that results from a rupture of the synovial capsule of the bones in the wrist.
It can get bigger over time and cause symptoms. Treatment can involve aspiration with a high risk of recurrence or surgery to repair it. Surgery is outpatient and can take about an hour.

In brief: Ganglion cyst

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: This

This is definitely not a good idea, you could cause further injury.
You can see a dermatologist or your primary care provider for treatment. A common procedure is placing a needle into the cyst drawing the liquid out, and then injecting a steroid, and then splinting the wrist to keep it from moving. This fairly successful treatment and is a good option for you since you have had the cyst for 6 months. Good luck.

In brief: This

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: You could.

If you were to proceed it would be painful and risk infection and/or injury to other structures in the wrist, like tendons, nerves.
It would not be recommended. Surgery is safer.

In brief: You could.

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery