If a child eats too much metal (coins) can this cause them to have learning disabilities?

Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Why are they eating
Coins? This should be checked out and stopped in an appropriate way.
It sounds like pica, but still why is the child eating coins at all. See a psychologist and a pediatrician.

In brief: Why are they eating
Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
In brief: I doubt it
After decades of practice and additional training in learning disabilities, I have never heard of coin ingestion influencing ld.
Most pass thru the body in 3-5 days and the metal involved is not considered toxic. There might be issues with a kid gnawing on lead toys but not coins.

In brief: I doubt it
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: PICA
Your child has PICA, eating of non food substances.
The metal in the coins is not likely to cause learning problems, but are lead paint chips or is the child chewing on painted surfaces. If so, then you should have a test for blood lead level and speak to your pediatrician about the PICA.

In brief: PICA
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Cindy Juster