How do you calm a child with asperger's syndrome down from a temper tantrum?

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Trial and error

Different techniques work with different children.
Some techniques that parents/guardians of my patients with asperger's have had success with include hand massages and taking a bath or a shower. I suggest involvement in a support group for caregivers of autistic spectrum children for more ideas. Best wishes.

In brief: Trial and error

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine

In brief: Stay calm

Your child is having a temper tantrum or 'meltdown' as a response to frustration.
Children who have difficulty with expression of emotions, such as asperger's syndrome have meltdowns more often than peers. Stay calm; use a quiet voice & try to redirect behavior; make sure your child is safe; slow down your movements and words; hold your child if they like it; let the behavior run its course.

In brief: Stay calm

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: It can be hard

Mostly, ignoring temper tantrums in a child is the right way to go.
I wrote a book on kindle on the subject of behavioral management called: parenting the kids according to a child psychiatrist. Also, you might find helpful the book: asperger syndrome by tony attwood. Good luck.

In brief: It can be hard

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Tell him in 10 words

Or < 10 seconds in a low, calm voice that the behavior is not acceptable.
He will not understand why, only that it's not okay to tantrum when frustrated. A behavioral therapist can teach him to recognize when he's getting upset & what to do. A functional behavioral assessment identifies triggers and consequences for each individual child. Seek medical treatment for anxiety or aggression.

In brief: Tell him in 10 words

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Eric Weisman